High-quality content and high-SEO content are very different things, and your website needs both. Fantastic content is the set of stories and value-added viewpoints that put your site on the map, hook readers, go viral and drive business. Great SEO writing is a must to make sure your pages rank as highly as possible in search. Together, a well-crafted collection of content that pleases both readers and search engines, spanning web copy and blog posts, will get your site the traffic your business needs to surpass competitors and carve out your space as an industry leader. Even if you don’t have an experienced team to create content, your business can still thrive online. Ambitious newcomers should focus on learning the ropes of content marketing and focusing on your strengths as you build your site’s following and develop your SEO and copywriting.
Writing Awesome Content
Great web content shares several key characteristics that any content marketer should keep in mind when writing for their site. The best content on the internet adds real value to reader’s lives, whether it’s teaching them something new, answering burning questions that they have, or providing them with information that they may not have even known they needed. Dishing out content just for the sake of it wastes the reader’s time and practically guarantees that your posts will be old news before they ever take off. Meaningful content that captures the reader with emotion or humor and engages them across several channels will set your business apart and generate business with every post you share.
Writing for SEO
It is possible to boost your search engine rankings and create copy that doesn’t sound desperate by employing a few core strategies. Learning the basics of SEO is critical in copywriting in order to get the best ROI on your posts and your brand’s intellectual property. Good SEO writing takes research, planning, and promotion through social media platforms. Achieving SEO mastery is complex, but anyone can improve their rankings with a little attention given to the right areas. High on the list:
- Keyword research – Identify the most relevant keywords in your industry and learn how to use them properly throughout your writing.
- Strategic use of tags and links – Plan a logical way to organize your posts on your site using tags and links to other posts, both on your own site and on other sites on the web.
Other important things to remember when working towards improving your rankings include:
- Post often – A steady stream of quality content gives readers something fresh to engage with and keeps your site at the forefront of rankings, more so than stagnant sites that aren’t updated regularly.
- Keep it tight – Quality, quality, quality. The better your content is, the more interesting it is to your readers and the more likely they are to share it with their networks. Staying on topic and sticking to your main points will keep your copy relevant, reader-friendly, and easy to share.
- Think vertically – Generic content doesn’t get noticed by vertical searches that focus more on specific or local content, news, and videos. Go after your target market with content that’s tailored especially for them instead of reaching too broadly.
- Get creative with headlines – The best way to capture reader attention on the web is to use informative, witty, funny, or dramatic headlines that make people want to click on your site and read more. Since the headlines are what people focus on when they come across your site on a search engine, they had better be good, or users will scroll right on by.
- Get organized – Your company’s blog is meant to be a tool for your customers and potential clients to use, not just a dumping grounds for posts. If your site is easy to navigate, readers can move from one post to another and dig deeper into your business’s products and services. If it’s not user-friendly, they click away, and you’ll lose your audience. This is also important for purposes of SEO, because the longer users stay on your site, the better your rankings will be.
Writing for Your Curation Strategy
While your content may be excellent, you also need to a marketing strategy that will present it to your audience in a careful way that leaves them with the belief that your company is an authority in your industry. To curate excellent content, there are several things to do:
- Provide external links to relevant news – Not all your content needs to be your own, in fact, it’s ideal for your readers when you provide links to the latest information and news in your industry, even if it’s coming from other sources. A weekly roundup of links or tweeting other site’s content to your followers is a great way to demonstrate to your reader that you’re interested in expanding their knowledge base and entertaining them and that you’re not solely focused on making your own sales pitch.
- Streamline your user experience – Become a go-to source of information on your industry and relevant topics by creating a reading list, a list of other sites that are great references for your customers, or organizing your content so that users can efficiently find the information they need. The easier their experience is, the more likely they are to come back.
There are a lot of moving parts to consider when writing content for your audience that is also SEO friendly. Start with the basics and use your site’s analytics to create metrics that you can use to evaluate your progress in boosting your rankings and increasing sales. If you feel stuck or have plateaued in your development, consider working with a specialized content marketing team that can expertly create and cultivate your site for maximum performance on every level. Professional help can be exactly what your site needs to take it to the next level and can free up your much-needed time for other important tasks.